Since 2001, TheConradFirm, P.C. has successfully tried, mediated and/or settled over one thousand cases. In addition to hundreds of smaller cases, the following represent some of the large cases recently handled by TheConradFirm involving claims in excess of $1.0 million or complex matters:
Construction and Design Professionals
Other Professional Liability
- Charlottesville Circuit Court: Settled alleged HVAC mechanical design defect claim in hotel against mechanical engineer for less than 20% of ad damnum.
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia: Settled contractual and quality of work claims for allegedly defective mechanical design in airport.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Settled claims for allegedly defective mechanical design in museum.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Defended mechanical engineer against defective HVAC design claim in public visitor center.
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia: Dismissal of claim against design professional arising out of use of fly-ash in foundation of grocery store and department store based upon 12(b)(6) motion.
- Charlottesville Circuit Court: Mediated and obtained global settlement of four claims against contractors and design professionals involving historic brick renovation, site excavation, soil nail borings, and building collapse.
- Henrico Co. Circuit Court: Mediated and settled construction/design professional case involving microbiologically induced corrosion in fire suppression system. Settled prior to other defendants for less than approximately 20% of total settlement or ad damnum.
- Settled property damage Complaint for public waterline backup claim in a public works improvement project.
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia and Hanover Circuit Court: Settled two separate Complaints for property damage to a Commonwealth of Virginia interstate highway overpasses.
- Chesterfield Circuit Court: Dismissal of Complaint for property damages caused by timber overcut.
- Henrico Circuit Court: Dismissal of property damage Complaint against a drilling subcontractor for claims arising out of site excavation and drilling.
- Norfolk Circuit Court: Settled Complaint against drilling subcontractor for vibration damage to adjacent property caused by renovation and pile driving.
- Albemarle Circuit Court: Settled bodily injury and wrongful death claims arising out of failure of wood trusses for less than 20% of ad damnum.
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia: Settled one wrongful death and three bodily injury claims arising out of alleged truss failure for less than 20% of ad damnum.
- Successfully defended mechanical engineer against defective design claims in private water systems.
- Chesterfield Circuit Court: Settled three professional liability cases against attorney for real estate title matters.
- Various Virginia Circuit Courts: Dismissal of approximately fifteen professional liability claims against doctors of veterinary medicine.
- Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Health Professionals: Dismissal of approximately fourteen licensure complaints against doctors of veterinary medicine.
- Franklin County Circuit Court: Arbitrated, mediated and settled boiler explosion property damage claim to manufacturing plant.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Mediated and settled automobile-brain injury and permanent and total disability claim.
- Southampton Circuit Court: Mediated and settled automobile wrongful death case, with five surviving children, for less than 20% of ad damnum.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia: Mediated and settled four automobile bodily injury companion cases including two brain injury cases for less than 25% of ad damnum.
- Dinwiddie Circuit Court: Mediated and settled automobile bodily injury-total disability case.
- Franklin County Circuit Court: Mediated and settled automobile bodily injury case involving total permanent disability.
- Northumberland County Circuit Court: Settled underinsurance motorist-automobile bodily injury case and workers' compensation lien, and obtained 100% simultaneous subrogation recovery from estate of deceased tortfeasor.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Settled Tenant mold claim by mother and child against Landlord for less that 30% of ad damnum.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Dismissed Tenant's claim against Landlord for bodily injuries based on condition of leased premises.
- Richmond Circuit Court: Settled Tenant burn claim by mother and child against Landlord for less than 10% of ad damnum.
- Rockingham Circuit Court: Settled wrongful death-underinsured motorist claim for $25,000.
- Spotsylvania Circuit Court: Dismissed UM wrongful death-underinsured motorist Complaint.
- Chesapeake Circuit Court: Settled timber overcut claim on environmentally sensitive site.
- Henrico Circuit Court: Mediated and settled automobile brain injury and permanent and total disability case.
- Dismissal on Rule 56 motion, an employment discrimination claim against county school board and its members.
- Settled Complaint filed by an appointed city official against a city based upon violations of employment contract and alleged retaliatory discharge.
- Settled Complaint filed in USDC against city police employees for employment discrimination, Title VII, 42 USC § 1983 claims.
- Dismissal of Circuit Court Complaint alleging zoning and fair housing claims.
- Dismissal of Circuit Court Complaint for trespass, conversion, and violation of Virginia Statewide Building Code against a city based upon plea in bar, demurrer and plea of sovereign immunity and demolition of collapsed bus depot building.
- Dismissal of Complaint alleging violations of Virginia and HUD fair housing statutes and violation of Fourteenth Amendment through demolition and redevelopment project against a city.
- Dismissal of bodily injury Complaint against police officer filed in Circuit Court
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC against police officer based upon violations of 42 USC 1983.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC for assault and battery violations of 42 USC 1983, 42 USC 1985 civil rights based upon 12(b)(6) motion in taser gun incident.
- Dismissal of two Complaints removed to USDC against city and city's fire chief for claims of trespass, conversion, destruction of business property, tortuous interference with business, violation of 42 USC 1982, and punitive damages based upon 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss, failure to provide notice, and sovereign immunity.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed against magistrate for malicious prosecution, unlawful detention, and civil rights violations by prisoner on grounds of sovereign immunity, statue of limitations and demurrer.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC against a city by prisoner for claims of violations of 28 USC § §1343, 2201, 2202, 42 USC §§ 1981, 1983, 1985, 1986 and 1988, and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act relating to jail conditions. Complaint dismissed on 12(b)(6) motion.
- Settled Complaint filed in Circuit Court against county deputy sheriff for alleged negligence in operating his patrol car.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC against members of the board of supervisors for claims of violations of 42 USC § 1983 on a 12(b)(6) motion on the grounds of sovereign immunity and failure to state a claim.
- Defended through trial and settled two Complaints filed in Circuit Court against a police officer based upon alleged wrongful police vehicular pursuit.
Zoning, Planning and Land Use
- Dismissal of 1983 lawsuit against school division and social service employees for educational neglect claim of home schooled student.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in Circuit Court against a county school board
- Dismissal of Complaint against a school division and employees in responding to notice of claim for alleged physical and emotional abuse claim while investigating physical abuse of student.
- Settled tort injury claim against school board employed bus driver in circuit court.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC against employees of school division for 28 USC 1981 and 1983 claims based upon 12(b)(6) motion.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC against employees of school division for claims of unlawful search on school bus and violations of 28 USC §§ 1981 and 1983. This dismissal was obtained on 12(b)(6) and 56 motions.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed by minor child in circuit court against school division employee, a principal, for sexual abuse by another school employee. Claims of negligence and gross negligence against the principal were dismissed on demurrer. Insurer paid small settlement to settle all other claims.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC by former school employee against the school board for claims of discrimination in violation of the ADA based upon 12(b)(6) motion.
- Defended school principal through trial and appeal against Complaint for failure to prevent fight in school.
- Arranged sale of plaintiff's apartment building to third party in order to settle lawsuit against town based upon denial of occupancy permit and inverse condemnation, taking and vested rights claims in Circuit Court.
- Dismissal of Complaint in Circuit Court against board of supervisors and members of the board for issuance of a special use permit, building permit and occupancy permit for health care clinic based upon plea in bar.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in circuit court alleging conflicts of interest, intentional misrepresentation, tortuous interference with a contract, constitutional due process and property rights violations based upon plea of sovereign immunity, plea in bar and demurrer.
- Settled Complaint against county for declaratory relief for approval of site plan.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed against city based upon demurrer and plea in bar.
- Dismissal of Complaint in Circuit Court against board of supervisors and its members and remand of application for well permit to board of supervisors and dismissal of takings and vested rights claims and punitive damages in circuit court.
- Dismissal of Complaint in Circuit Court against county and service authority for trespass and fraudulent special use permit and punitive damages.
- Dismissal of Complaint in Circuit Court against city planning director for failure to approve site plan.
- Dismissal of appeal in Circuit Court of the decision of the BZA of a town for alleged improper issuance of building permit for hotel.
- Dismissal of vested rights Complaint by real estate developer filed against city in Circuit Court on grounds of failure to exhaust administrative remedies as set forth in Demurrer.
- Dismissal of takings Complaint against board of supervisors by adjacent homeowners' claim of title to boat ramp.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in Circuit Court against city and members of city council for claims of breach of economic development agreement.
- Dismissal of petition for injunction by adjacent landowner filed in Circuit Court against city, city manager and members of city council, for injunction against approval of plans for new traffic signs and road improvements.
- Dismissal of appeal of a BZA decision and amendments of city's zoning ordinance to address Complaint.
- Settled Complaint against town as well as negotiated and drafted private road agreement to conform to local ordinance and resolve Complaint of adjacent property owner.
- Dismissal at Circuit Court appeal hearing of town BZA decision disapproving site plan for marina based upon insufficient evidence and law.
- Dismissal of eleven-count Complaint filed in circuit court against town and town council for eight zoning and planning claims and claims for vested rights violations of 42 USC 1983, 42 USC 1981 and takings claims.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in Circuit Court against city and city council appealing the denial of a special use permit for concrete mixing plants and claiming takings and inverse condemnation and mandamus.
- Settled Complaint filed in Circuit Court against city for encroachment of sidewalk into private property.
- Dismissal of Complaint against county board of supervisors, department of public works and planning commission of inverse condemnation and takings of right of way to plaintiff's property filed in Circuit Court upon demurrer, motion to dismiss and plea of sovereign immunity.
- Represented BZA at appeal hearing in city's appeal of BZA decision concerning interpretation of local ordinances applicable to setback of fences from intersection.
- Dismissal of appeal of the city's BZA's decision to deny a variance for location of carport.
- Dismissal of Complaint against city filed in Circuit Court concerning boat ramp based on plea in bar and demurrer, lack of jurisdiction, failure of timely appeal and failure to exhaust administrative remedies.
- Dismissal of Complaint for declaratory judgment seeking to declare uninsured motorist benefits against self-insured insurance pool authorized by Virginia Code § 15.2-2700 and its members.
- Settled Complaint against county service authority for breach of agreement to extend sewer line.
- Dismissal of Complaint filed in USDC for 42 USC 1983 and equal protection claims against city's economic development board and employees for development of city facilities and failure to purchase plaintiff's property. Complaint dismissed on 12(b)(6) and 56(b) motions.
- Dismissal of Complaint against county service authority for trespass, conversion, unjust enrichment and inverse condemnation on the grounds that a well located on plaintiff's property was dug and used for years by the county based upon demurrer, plea of statute of repose and failure of notice.
- Dismissal of auto-bodily injury tort Complaint against a city for alleged negligence in not cutting shrubbery along city streets and not erecting signals and warnings at railroad crossing. Dismissed based upon plea of sovereign immunity, lack of notice and demurrer.
- Settled claim for sewer backup damages filed in Circuit Court against a city.
- Settled bodily injury claim of child against a city for maintaining nuisance condition under bridge.